Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Christmas part 2:

The last blog outlined the certain strategies I employ for Christmas shopping for kids. This blog is a follow on- I'm all business when it comes to Christmas shopping. I budget, SERIOUSLY budget and do not stray outside $20. I don't believe spending the same on each child is necessary. One year I spent $65 on one kid and $200 on another. They didn't know and each got something incredibly special to them. Budget in total, not per child. That way your mind set is how many gifts each not value of gift- kids don't understand or care about that, they care about counting...and you can bet your bippy they'll count!

Books- I never buy new books in this country. EVER. Not for me and certainly not for the kids. I find Church fetes and Community Library book sales are the better quality in comparison to garage sales. DVD's from Blockbuster bins and BigW annual clearance sales. 

Bikes- GARAGE SALES. Online on Gumtree or occasionally on Ebay. I have had the best luck with garage sales. Usually when I'm not garage sale hunting but driving past with $5 in my wallet and have to be somewhere else in 10minutes. But I find this is the most frugal and smartest way to shop. I know what I want and I don't deviate. If I see a bike, I look for rust and always keep in mind that I will have to buy new tires (between 20-60$ each). So in essence your buying the frame. I don't buy bikes with bad seats as a seat is an added $40 and I can buy a whole new bike with those add ons. Usually for any second hand bike you don't go higher than $40 cash. That's for a tricked out, super hot 2 wheeler. Otherwise, offer $20-$25 with cash in your hand and 8 times out of 10 you'll roll away with a new bike. 

Next blog I'll go into family gifts and I'm not talking 'soap molds and lavender bags for undie drawers either'!
Later mamas x

No comments:

Post a Comment